Many animals have evolved ways to use camouflage to either avoid predators or to ambush or stalk prey.
When hunting, your job is to fall in with the sights and sounds of the woods, as the animals do. Camo colors and patterns can be used to blend into surroundings or to break up your body’s outline. Wear appropriate camouflage clothing from head to toe to help stay out of sight.
Also, use face paint or masks to ensure your face doesn’t stand out as a shiny spot that animals will notice.
Maintain Your Cover with these camo tips
1. Be invisible. Wear the right colors and patterns for your area and season.
2. Be still. Camouflage alone doesn’t keep you completely hidden. A camouflaged person can easily be spotted with the slightest movement. Deceiving wild animals requires you to look and act like your surroundings.
3. Dress for fall. Wear green with splotches of brown to break up your outline during fall months when the leaves change.
4. Blend in with the snow. Wear white that’s broken-up with darker patterns of black or brown to blend in during snowy months.
5. Hide from wild turkeys. This big-game bird has excellent eyesight. Birds distinguish color even better than we can, so camouflage is extremely important when hunting wild turkeys.